Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Diddled by distractions

As I sat and watched my children playing today, I suddenly realised how precious time spent with them is.  And by spending time I don’t just mean being present.  Because if being present was the same as spending time, then I could claim that I spend a whole lot of time (heaps of time, in fact) with little madam and little man.  But what I mean is, actually spending time on them, and them alone. 

I mean amongst all the usual chaos, it’s not all that often I get to sit back and observe little madam and little man in action without all the distractions home has to offer.  Distractions which are about as pleasant as a poke in the eye mind you.  Distractions which include the washing (which never stops growing for some reason), the dishes (which continue to pile), the toys (which I continue to find scattered all over the place) and the never-ending list of other things I find necessary to do around the house to keep me believing I’m still relatively sane. 
Yes...this definitely looks like mine!

But as I sat today, away from the home and all of its distractions, I discovered that by sitting back and actually observing little madam and little man (as they repeated the task of riding the flying foxes at a park we visit every now and then – one which is usually packed but, due to today’s dampness, was practically deserted) I experienced happiness and bliss, along with the realisation that quality time spent with little madam and little man is so extremely valuable.    

Now don’t get me wrong.  I love spending time with my kids.  Most of the time, anyway.  But I usually find that, especially when we’re at home, I’m torn between them and an endless array of thoughts about a whole range of things (including thoughts about when I’m going to get around to ticking the distractions I mentioned early off my list of things to do).  So actually being able to experience (for a good hour or so) the joy of just sitting and watching little madam and little man in action today, made me really appreciate the time a whole lot more.  And it made me realise that moments like the one I experienced today, are not always going to be so readily on offer. 

So I solemnly swear, from this day forward, I’m going to spend a lot less time getting distracted from the housework and more time with my children.  What the fuck!  Who am I kidding?!  No.  In all seriousness, today’s realisation – the realisation that I’d like to spend a little more time enjoying little madam and little man, and a little less time being  distracted – will result in me trying my hardest to find a few more moments to sit back and enjoy little madam and little man.  I suppose now that the warmer weather is on the approach, and we can head outdoors and away from the home a little more, following through on this might just be possible.  But, at the very least, I’m certainly going to try and remind myself that one day, in the not too distant future, little madam and little man will be less interested in spending time with me, and be more caught up (like I am, most of the time)with their very own distractions. 

Thanks, Little Madam and Little Man for making me forget my distractions today.  Now, who left all their toys in the lounge room AGAIN!?  Love you!
Little madam flying
Little man flying




No comments:

Post a Comment