Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Real Reason I Won't Be Mother Of The Year

As a mother with two young children – a little madam, who is now five (going on fifteen), and a little man, who is almost three – I’ve had my fair share of wonderful experiences.  I’ve also had my fair share of the not-so-wonderful experiences that make me realise that I’m not going to be in the running for an Australian Mother of the Year Award; anytime soon, that is.  I realised quite early on, in fact, that a nomination for this award – the annual award that’s aimed at recognising mothers and the important role they play in our society – was going to be quite a way out of my reach. 

I guess the first time I truly realised this, was the time I carelessly, (but by no means deliberately), left a young little madam – who was only a wee five-month-old at the time – on the couch, while I quickly disappeared into the kitchen to warm a bottle of milk only to, seconds later, have my ears filled with a surprisingly loud THUD.  In case you haven’t realised, this was the sound little madam made as she rolled off the couch onto the floor (which, mind you, is hardwood, not carpet.  Naturally, this thud was followed by a terrifying howl.  And, although this howl still haunts me to the day, amazingly I still hadn’t learnt my lesson when I made the exact same mistake with little man – who was also only a wee five-month-old – a couple of years ago.  On this occasion (ironically) the same loud THUD, which was followed by the same terrifying howl, preceded the same realisation.  Looks like I’m not going to be in the running for that award, again!
Although I believe my lesson, with regards to leaving littlies unsupervised on a couch above a hard-wood floor, has now been learnt, I guess (given I’ve decided two is enough children for me) I will never have the opportunity to prove it.  And, of course, as there are no instruction manuals that come with the task of raising a child (or children), and it’s trial and error most of the time - I guess in my case (and probably in the case of the majority of mothers out there, I’m guessing) it’s the latter -so unfortunately, these two incidences aren’t the only reason I'm certain I have a long way to go before I will even come close to being eligible for a nomination in the Australian Mother of the Year Awards. 

Take a more recent incident.  Perhaps one that occurred at the very start of the year, when I promised little madam an afternoon outing to the park; only to find myself having to renege on that promise, due to the fact that I had to cook dinner, then clean up the mess I had (in order to allow myself a few spare minutes to chop vegetables and brown meat etc) allowed little man to make.  He had pulled almost everything out of the cupboards in his reach (and in my small kitchen, this is quite a number and, as a result, amounted to quite a lot of stuff on the floor; stuff which included half a jar of sprinkles!), then tend to a never-ending pile of washing, which was nearly as high as the ceiling (this is also, mainly, thanks to little man, who wasn’t the cleanest of individuals at the time and insisted on needing his outfit changed several times a day).  So, by the time I’d gotten around to doing all the “necessary things” – or perhaps, “things I considered necessary”, is a better term - I was forced to have to explain to little madam (who has a memory like an African Elephant) that there wasn’t going to be time for the park, after all.  And, despite the fact that I promised her we'd definitely go the next day, I’m fairly certain that the pleading, which became crying, which then became an uncontrollable sobbing fit (and a very loud tantrum) could have been translated into the following statement: “You are not going to be in the running for the 2012 Australian Mother of the Year Award!” It's hard to believe, I’d managed to blow my chances in only the second week of the New Year! 

I guess, in summary, if I were to list, and describe, all the incidences that have occurred in my time as a mother so far, that make me consider myself undeserving of a nomination in the Australian Mother of the Year Awards, I could fill an entire book.  Instead though, I guess I should try a little harder to focus on the positives; the moments when I actually take the time to observe my two littlies and realise that I don't need an award, or a nomination, to realise that I’m actually doing a reasonable job of this parenting gig.  And, although I’m guilty of doing things most mothers do, but don’t want to admit to - such as yelling a little more than I should, focussing a little too much on the state of my house at times, rather than on little madam and little man (did I mention the washing is nearly as high as the ceiling, though?), and, not to mention, making promises that are sometimes impossible to keep – the truth is this:  The real reason I won’t be in the running for an Australian Mother of the Year Award is because, at the moment, little madam, and little man, are still far too young to be able to write up their nominations.  Well, that’s the excuse I’m going to use while I can, anyway.
 
Thanks, little madam and little man, for reminding me that babies and couches are a terrible combination.  Love you both! 

No comments:

Post a Comment