Thursday, May 3, 2012

Regression; or was it just a case of deliberate defiance?


Sorry.  I know it's been a while since you’ve heard from me.  Believe me, my absence from blogging has not been by choice.  I've just been flat out. And, on top of being just regularly flat-out running around taking the kids to their various activities, running around to try to get things done myself, and running around the house to try and keep on top of the mess (and the operative word here is “ try” because I’m not all that successful at this), I recently found myself at the local Maternal & Child Health Centre for little man’s eighteen-month check-up, and little madam’s three-and-a-half year check-up.  And, despite the fact little madam’s check-up was a couple of months overdue, in an effort to reduce the strain on my already chaotic schedule, I decided I’d delay little madam’s check-up slightly so I could take little man and little madam together. 

Well.  I realised almost as soon as the appointment began, that organising an hour long appointment for little man and little madam to have their particulars checked, was most definitely not my best move.  In fact it was apparent as soon as I sat down to begin my brief chat with the lovely Maternal Child Health Nurse (MCHN), when little madam began to crawl around the floor in an effort to imitate little man (the little man before he started walking, at least), I should have found a separate time in my busy schedule for each of their appointments. 
Perhaps the MCHN sensed my dismay because, in an effort to get little madam off the floor, the MCHN - who had strategically placed a few coloured pencils and a piece of paper on the small table in the centre of the room - asked little madam to draw a picture.  Well.  Not only did little madam refuse with a rather defiant “No.  I don’t want to!” she did so in a tone of voice that I could only describe as babyish. 
The drama continued when little madam decided to again raise the eyebrows of the MCHN by throwing the small plastic tea-set, that the MCHN had pulled out for her to play with, around the room.  And, despite my gentle request of, “Why don’t you make me a cup of tea...”, she, again, exercised her defiance by refusing, and continued to toss the plastic cups and plates around the room.  Well, I’m pretty sure by the time we finished with little man’s check-up, the MCHN had more than one concern about little madam’s behaviour; perhaps she even felt that I’d booked her in for her three-and-a-half year check-up prematurely.  
Never-the-less, the appointment continued and little madam’s assessment began.  As expected, it didn’t begin all that well.  First, little madam refused to participate in the eye-test.  Well.  Actually.  Her initial protests of, “I can’t do it!” had me a little worried.  Perhaps she really was struggling to see the cards the MCHN was holding up from the other side of the room.  Thankfully, though, it turned out that little madam was, in fact, just demonstrating her defiance once again.  As, after a few protests on her behalf, she eventually complied and was able to complete the test successfully.  Phew!

I was so relieved at the end of the hour long ordeal – as little man wasn’t exactly fantastically well-behaved either, and I found myself, towards the end, having to wrestle one of the small wooden chairs off him after he threatened to tip it over rather forcefully – that I’ve made a vow never to attempt a double appointment with the MCHN again; unless, of course, I can go alone.   Not likely though is it? 

Thanks little madam for showing your true colours to the MCHN.  I really was hoping you’d leave your defiant side at home that day!  Love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment